Gaindakot FOSS Community is a team of volunteers who believe in the usage of Free/Open Source Software (FOSS). The primary objective of the community is to promote, develop and diversify the usage of Free/Open Source Software in Gaindakot.
- To raise awareness among general public, government bodies, private sector, civil society, educational institutions and media for expanding the scope of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) via Free and Open Source Software.
- To sensitize general public, government bodies, civil society and media for the implementation of e-governance by means of FOSS; the optimal solution for e-governance
- To advocate on alternatives in Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) specific to ICT.
- To enhance the capacity of IT professionals by promoting inclusion of Free and Open Source Software in educational system and providing platform for IT professionals to make them globally salable.
- To develop, modify and localize Free and Open Source Software to address local software need.
Community Executive Body
– Co-Ordinator: Apply
– Members: School and College Ambassador (Male and Female)
– Representative Members:
- Cooperatives Society:
- Gaindakot Municipality:
- Gaindakot Red Cross:
- Gaindakot CCI:
- University Affiliated College:
- HISSAN Representative:
- PABSON Representative:
- Political Party
- Nagarik Samaj
- Gaindakot Sports
- Maula Kalika Society
Yearly Activities: Calender
- Foss Ka Kura
- Open Software
- Open Hardware
- Open Knowledge
- Open Education
- Open Government
- IT Law, Copyleft and Open Liscence
- Satasat GB
- LTSP E Library (Setup and Maintenance)
- Women in Technology
- Open Street Mapping
- Nepali Wikipedia Writing
- FOSS Migration
- Freedom Day Celebration
– Software Freedom Day
– Document Freedom Day
– Education Freedom Day
– Hardware Freedom Day
– Developers Day
- FOSS Installation Fest
- Business Applications
- Office Applications
- Linux OS
- Educational Applications
- FOSS Boot Camp (Crash Course)
- Programming Language (C, Python, PHP, Ruby, OpenJava, HTML…)
- Web Development Frameworks (WordPress, Django, Ruby Rails, Node.Js)
- Linux Installation and Troubleshooting
- Libre Office
- LTSP (Edubuntu)
- Ethical Hacking Conceptual
- Nepali Wikipedia Writing
- Open Street Mapping
- Student Exposure Opportunity
- Ambassador Selection
- Internship Referrals
- Community Lead Selection
- National and International Level Competition Referrals
- Contribution Certificate Award
- Gaindakot FOSS Community Hall of Fame Listing
Membership: Free and it is for life time.
- Can I get membership and what is the membership cost?
– Register to our mailing list and you are now member. Membership is totally free for everybody.
- Can I lead the community or become a part of ambassador program?
– It depends upon how much passionate you are regarding the community activity or the ambassador program. Every time you are eligible to become community lead or become a part of any ambassador program.
- Can our school/college IT club execute all the events as our co-curricular activities?
– Yes. Any school/college from Gaindakot Municipality can associate all the program and events from Gaindakot FOSS Community to its co-curricular activities. While conducting the event school/college should arrange required logistics and should bear the expenses of resource person or experts if they are hired. Gaindakot FOSS Community will ask for donation if asked to manage the event. The donation will be used to buy distributable goodies and organize yearly events in Gaindakot.
- Do you setup E-Library? Can we get professional support? How much it will cost?
– Yes, we setup E-Library with free contents and free software. There is no professional support but we can help you organize E-Library maintainer and troubleshooting refreshment training on request. We can build a team to monitor your e-library health in required intervals of time. You need to pay nominal fee for experts only.
- Do you give professional support on maintaining our FOSS Computer labs?
– Our community does not offer the professional support for pc maintenance or software troubleshooting. But we can refer you the best one available over our network. As well as we can organize boot camps on y0ur request how to migrate to FOSS and troubleshoot the problems to your employees.
- Is everything in FOSS is for Free?
– The free is defined as Freedom not in cost. Almost FOSS tools are available free of cost. Professional support are not free and you need to pay according to business model the tools or service has adapted. Comparatively total return of investment is higher than proprietary models.
- Where is the office of Gaindakot FOSS Community?
– We live and talk around internet forums and social networks. We don’t have specific office. Its a volunteer group of professional IT Geeks and non-professional who believe in FOSS. We are the local resident of Gaindakot Municipality, So we are available every where at Gaindakot.
- How can I help the community?
– You can be a member and advocate the FOSS philosophy.
– Help us to organize events by providing free venue, logistics and resources.
– Contribute your free time as speaker, expert, activist, co-ordinator, contributor, writer, blogger or various roles.
– Donate our programs so we can frequently organize our events.